Several people asked for “getting started” links. here’s my own experience in this.
in the past couple of months I’ve used the following resources to “get started” :
- I found it helpful to have an unlimited subscription for a year at peepcode so I can watch as many high quality videos as I wanted.
- To learn the bash shell I watched a few videos on peepcode.com
- To learn vim: I saw all the vim videos on this blog
- To learn basic Ruby: I made all the tests pass in the Ruby Koans project . I did it all using vim so when they were finished I also felt much better using VIM.
- To understand the ruby culture and mindset, I got the book Eloquent Ruby
- In the near future: To learn Rails:
- Rails tutorial screencasts (not free but recommended)
Your suggestions are welcome!